Tuesday 10 January 2012

Berserko Veggies!

Just before we went on holidays we had about 5 inches of rain in a week, and while we were away our neighbours said we had somewhere between 2-3 inches of rain. Combine this with summer FINALLY arriving and  - WHAM! - berserko veggies!!

The first corn that I planted and got hit by the frost, is now 6 foot + high - and I think some of the cobs are nearly ready to harvest. Yum!!! Fresh corn!! I remember going out to a farm near us as a kid and collecting bags and bags of fresh corn for next to nothing! Mum would then boil it up and we would smother with butter. I think I might have to investigate further if some are ready....my mouth is watering!



And here are the chooky girls chillin' out in the shade of the corn.



My eggplants are finally getting some flowers on them, although you have to just take my word for it as you can't see them properly in this photo.



The zucchinis are upping production to a zillion zucchinis a day.



The pumpkins have finally taken off, but no flowers on the Kent yet.



And here are the first two QLD Blue I have ever grown



A butternut



And my first vegetable spaghetti!



Here are (from L to R) my peas, green beans and red kidney beans. I finally put in a makeshift trellis for them yesterday when the weather was a bit cooler.



The tomato plants are growing well but very few tomatoes. There are heaps of flowers coming on now so hopefully we will actually get some shortly. I am sure we were already making batches of sauce by this time last year. I have tied them up since this shot :)



My Tomatillo bush has also gone a bit berserko and there are heaps of fruit on it. I am going to have to look up what on earth I am going to do with them shortly!


And finally, my luffas, which I will include as they are close to the veggie patch (but not the pumpkins). Although I started them off in the greenhouse, again, I am not too sure if they are going to get big enough by the end of the season to actually be useful. I am actually considering growing them solely in the greenhouse, next time, to make sure it is warm enough for them.


 (lets just ignore the weeds though, thanks :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment